Willkommen auf den Seiten des Auswärtigen Amts

EU Blue Card


Entry visa

The EU Blue Card allows third-country nationals with a university degree to take up employment in Germany commensurate with their qualifications.

The EU Blue Card, like all long term residence permits, is issued exclusively by the relevant foreigners authority in Germany. You must apply for the national visa, which is required in advance, at the German Embassy in your country of residence.

General information on the EU Blue Card is available on the website of the Federal Office for Migration and Refugees and on the portal for qualified professionals Make it in Germany

You are required to hand in the following documents along with your application:

o Application form
o Passport
o Two passport photos
o Curriculum vitae of professional career, including certificates, diplomas, etc.
o German university degree or recognised foreign degree comparable to a German degree
o Contract/binding job offer with details of gross annual salary.

You can check whether your foreign university degree is recognised or comparable by consulting the ANABIN database.

Please note that you are required to book an appointment through the Embassy’s online booking system before handing in your visa application.

Following the approval of the visa application and before the visa can be issued, you must provide evidence that you have sufficient travel health insurance for the period between your expected arrival in Germany and commencement of employment, if such evidence has not already been submitted.

Please ensure that your application documents are complete! Incomplete applications may result in the rejection of your visa application.

This information is regularly updated but makes no claim to be complete. In individual cases provision of additional documents may be necessary.

nach oben